Batagoda said a letter had come from the Turkish ambassador to Colombo after the Ceylon Electricity Board placed an advertisement for alternative sources of power.
But CEB officials denied that it was in response to the advertisement for expressions of interest saying there were about 17 responses, and the Turkish letter was not among them.
The bids for the EOI closed on May 02, 2019.
“This proposal was not related to the EOI, it came before bids closed,” the CEB official said.
The bids were being separately evaluated and a requests for proposals (RFP) would be made to short listed bidders, he said.
Handunetti said the power secretary had said forwarded the proposal from the Turkish company and questioned the link to the advertisement.
Batatogoda the Turkish ambassador had proposed the powerships to the minister after they saw the advertisement but it was a unilateral proposal.
He asked for a copy of the letter from the Turkish ambassador.
Handudetti said he knew taht at some ministries trainees were taken on a letter from the minister, but whether it was correct to take 200 MegaWatts of power in the same manner, without competitive tender.
Handunetti quoted from a letter sent by the Turkish company dated April 02, making reference to a meeting with the minister and the secretary ‘last week’ on a proposal made in February 2019.
CEB officials said the advertisement was called six weeks before May 02, which was around March.